Looking at data from NAR’s 2005-2014 Member Profile, we can see how the demographics of our members have changed over the last 10 years.
Gender of REALTORS®:
- Since 2005 the distribution of gender has remained predominantly female.
- On average 42% of members were male and 58% of members were female.
Age of REALTORS®:
- The median age of members has increased overall, with slight increases and decreases throughout the last 10 years.
- The average median age of members since 2005 was 54 years old.
Racial and Ethnic Distribution of REALTORS®:
- The racial and ethnic distribution of members has remained predominately White/Caucasian, making up an average of 86% of our members since 2005.
- The averages of other races and ethnicities are:
- Black/African American: 4%
- Hispanic/Latino: 5%
- Asian/Pacific Islander: 3%
- American Indian/Eskimo/Aleut: 1%
- Other: 1%
Country of Birth of REALTORS®:
- Since 2005 there has been a slight increase in the number of members who are born outside of the U.S., increasing from 9% in 2005 to 11% in 2014.
- On average of 90% of members were born in the U.S., and 11% were born outside of the U.S.
Formal Education of REALTORS®:
- Since 2005 the percentage of members with a Bachelor’s Degree has shown the greatest increase, and has remained at 30% for the last two years.
- The largest average proportions of members have completed some college, with an average of 32%, and an average of 28% hold a Bachelor’s degree.
For more information on this research, check out the: 2014 Member Profile.