Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is observed on the third Monday of January and marks the birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This holiday is also recognized as a day of service, and is an opportunity to serve your community. Based on data from the 2016 Member Profile and 2016 Firm Profile we can see how REALTORS® are volunteering in their community.
- Seventy-one percent of all REALTORS® volunteer in their community, and the typical REALTOR® who volunteers is 52 years old.
- Fifty-nine percent of REALTORS® aged 50 and older volunteer in their community.
- Sixty-four percent of the REALTORS® volunteering are females, and 36 percent are males.
- Fifteen percent of volunteers were fluent in a language other than English.
- REALTORS® who volunteered typically had previous careers in management, business, or financial field were more likely than any other previous career to volunteer (16 percent).
- Among firms there is encouragement of REALTORS® to volunteer. Eighty-two percent encourage volunteering in the local community, 48 percent encourage volunteering with their local association, 28 percent encourage volunteering with their state association of REALTORS®, and 19 percent with the National Association of REALTORS®.
Find more information on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and opportunities to volunteer in your area at: http://www.nationalservice.gov/mlkday
For more highlights on REALTORS® view the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day infographic 2016 Member Profile and 2016 Firm Profile.